Dear Third Grade Families,
In case you would like to get started on back to school shopping, I have included a list of supplies that your third grader will find helpful this year.
Items That Will Assist You
- 2 writing composition books: 1 for writer’s workshop and 1 for word study and grammar (Feel free to decorate the front of them before the first day!)
- 1 spiral notebook for math work
- 2 Dry Erase Markers for your whiteboard work (the thin ones work best)
- 3 glue sticks
- a small pack of colored pencils, crayons, or markers
- small (5×8 or smaller) pencil box to store your supplies. Please do not send in larger pencil boxes as they do not fit in the desks. Thanks!
- scissors if you have some
- 2 highlighters
- Pocket folders (5 of them): red, purple or orange, yellow, green, blue (plastic folders work best, but are not required)
- tissue box, band-aids, or sanitizing wipes to donate to the classroom
• Gym shoes to be left at school for Physical Education class
Ms Van Arkel
Studies have shown that students can lose up to 50% of learning during the summer vacation. Georgetown is challenging you and your child to “KEEP ON LEARNING” this summer to prevent summer slide. There are two ways to record your learning time:
Our goals for students over the summer are below. Students who reach or exceed goals will be entered into a drawing for an Amazon Gift Card (1 per grade). This is for their grade next year.
- First Grade: 100 minutes
- Second Grade: 200 minutes
- Third Grade: 300 minutes
- Fourth Grade: 400 minutes
- Fifth Grade: 400 minutes
- First Grade: 100 pts
- Second Grade: 200 pts
- Third Grade: 300 pts
- Fourth Grade: 400 pts
- Fifth Grade: 500 pts
READING: Log into this form to record the number of minutes you read. You can record each day or enter the total for each week.
MOBYMAX via CLEVER: https://clever.com/in/hpseagles
Login in will be username @hpsstudents.net
If your child is new to the school and you would like login information, email Mrs. Reagan. firstname.lastname@example.org
Have a great summer…and keep on learning with READING and MOBYMAX!
Did you know that every BOXTOP and every COKE CAPS collected earns money for our school? This summer we would like you to work hard to collect both. The money we earn will go toward a basketball hoop on our K/1 playground!
BOXTOPS: Every completed BOXTOP sheet is worth $5.00. If every child from Georgetown (approx 570) fills one sheet this summer, our school will earn $2,750. Many thanks to Lori Simpson and all of you who are on her team of BOX TOP counters, trimmers, and packers. This is a great program that pays off because of all of YOU! Download your form here: Summer Box Tops
COKE CAPS: Super easy. Save the caps and go online to enter collection! COKE WEBSITE (https://us.coca-cola.com/give/) Select Georgetown Elementary and enter the code on the cap. Now you can recycle the cap. No need to send it to school.
Are you visiting our blog because you will be in this class next year? If so, WELCOME!
While you are here, be sure to sign up for email updates (right side of the blog where it says subscribe by email
). Our class blog will be the site for information about school supplies, curriculum and assessment, and much more. A school supply list will be posted on July 1. Check out the supply list HERE
Also, remember to sign up for email updates on the Georgetown School Blog
. The school blog will provide updates all summer long about school wide events and important details about open houses and calendar dates.
I am so glad you are here! I will be posting a few times to the blog throughout the summer so please check back! I am getting ready for a great third grade year!
I look forward to meeting you at our school open house on August 22 from 6:30-7:30pm.
– Ms Van Arkel
The school year has flown by and now here we are at summer vacation. I want to thank each of you for sharing your children with me this school year. I feel so blessed to have been a part of your children’s lives as their third grade teacher!
Thank you so much for the ways you have volunteered your time and donated items for our class this year. I appreciate all your support!
Have a safe, healthy, and happy summer! I will miss this wonderful group!
Ashley Van Arkel
I can’t believe it! The last week of school! It has been a fabulous year of learning, fun, and friendships! Thank you for all the ways you have supported your child’s education.
A few things:
Make sure your child has their backpack each day this week. You will see folders and papers coming home. We are cleaning out lockers and desks!
Remind your third grader to return library books.
Friday is a half day. Dismissal is at 12:15pm.
Our class did an outstanding job of presenting their biography research work today!! Thanks to all who came to see our museum. Check it out:
Happy Memorial Day weekend! I hope you enjoy the sunshine! No school on Monday. See you back on Tuesday!
For our last ten days of third grade we are celebrating with activities each day. Check out our activity for Tuesday!
Friday, May 25: Total Red, White, and Blue day
Tuesday, May 29: Hat day or crazy hair day
- We continue working hard on end of the year assessments with reading and writing and we are also spending time doing some math review too! We are finishing strong over the next few weeks!
- BIOGRAPHY PROJECT: Hopefully you have seen the project note come home as well as the invitation. Help your child plan to dress like the person they researched and/or make a visual to represent their research. You are invited to our Living Museum on Monday, June 4.
- Homework: Please help your third grader to continue working on reading and math fact practice as homework. This is critical not only near the end of the year, but also throughout the summer.
- We will not be going to library on Friday. Please help your third grader to return all their books back to school.
- Summer Tutors: If you are interested in your child having a tutor this summer, and have not scheduled this already, please let me know. I can give you a list of tutors that may still have openings.
- Summer Practice Work: At the end of each year, I put together a packet of practice work to send home with students. If this is something you would be interested in for your child, please email me and I will get it sent home. Thanks!