The school year has flown by and now here we are at summer vacation. I want to thank each of you for sharing your children with me this school year. I feel so blessed to have been a part of your children’s lives as their third grade teacher!
Thank you so much for the ways you have volunteered your time and donated items for our class this year. I appreciate all your support!
Have a safe, healthy, and happy summer! I will miss this wonderful group!
Ashley Van Arkel
I can’t believe it! The last week of school! It has been a fabulous year of learning, fun, and friendships! Thank you for all the ways you have supported your child’s education.
A few things:
Make sure your child has their backpack each day this week. You will see folders and papers coming home. We are cleaning out lockers and desks!
Remind your third grader to return library books.
Friday is a half day. Dismissal is at 12:15pm.
Our class did an outstanding job of presenting their biography research work today!! Thanks to all who came to see our museum. Check it out:
Happy Memorial Day weekend! I hope you enjoy the sunshine! No school on Monday. See you back on Tuesday!
For our last ten days of third grade we are celebrating with activities each day. Check out our activity for Tuesday!
Friday, May 25: Total Red, White, and Blue day
Tuesday, May 29: Hat day or crazy hair day
- We continue working hard on end of the year assessments with reading and writing and we are also spending time doing some math review too! We are finishing strong over the next few weeks!
- BIOGRAPHY PROJECT: Hopefully you have seen the project note come home as well as the invitation. Help your child plan to dress like the person they researched and/or make a visual to represent their research. You are invited to our Living Museum on Monday, June 4.
- Homework: Please help your third grader to continue working on reading and math fact practice as homework. This is critical not only near the end of the year, but also throughout the summer.
- We will not be going to library on Friday. Please help your third grader to return all their books back to school.
- Summer Tutors: If you are interested in your child having a tutor this summer, and have not scheduled this already, please let me know. I can give you a list of tutors that may still have openings.
- Summer Practice Work: At the end of each year, I put together a packet of practice work to send home with students. If this is something you would be interested in for your child, please email me and I will get it sent home. Thanks!
We just opened our last box of tissues today! If you are able to donate a box or two to our classroom, we would appreciate it!!
Here’s what we have been learning about in third grade:
Writing: We have finished our Literary Essay unit and then completed our Post Assessment of opinion writing before Spring Break. We will now begin to practice constructed response writing as well as begin our Core Democratic Values writing work that goes along with our Social Studies Unit.
Science: We will begin studying animals and adaptations!
Math: We will spend a few days doing some review and activities with area and perimeter and then we begin our fraction unit this week.
Reading: We have been reading biography books and with each book the students read, they complete a comprehension card to summarize the important facts they have learned about a person in history. We will be working on choosing a person to study and write about.