- Homework this week is 4-2/4-4. It should be coming home today and is due next Monday Feb. 19.
- Multiplication Fluency Practice: We did not do a practice page last week due to our short week and our snow day on Friday. We will do a practice page this Friday. Please check in with your third grader about what facts they should be practicing. We have talked a lot about what it means to work hard and practice in order to make progress as a learner. Some of our students are learning that their determination and hard work is paying off as they learn the multiplication facts!! 👍🏼
- If your child is passing out Valentine cards to classmates, please make sure they are brought to school by Wednesday. We decorated Valentine bags today and on Wednesday we will be doing some Valentine themed activities in class.
- Our field trip is on Thursday. Please make sure your child arrives at school on time and is dressed for snowshoeing. We are excited to learn about Native American Life.
- We have library on Friday. Help your child remember to bring their books back before Friday. Thanks!
- Homework is a little different this week. An email was sent on Friday with more information. Your child will need to log on to Study Island to complete the homework by this Friday, February 2.
- Multiplication Fluency Practice: You will see a practice page come home today. This was completed on Friday. Attached to this practice page will be a note saying NOT YET or GOT IT! This lets you and your third grader know what facts will need to be practiced for this Friday. Your third grader keeps track of their own progress on a graph here at school so they will know exactly what facts they should be working on. Please help your third grader practice their facts this week.
- We have library on Friday. Help your child remember to bring their books back. Thanks!
- A note will be coming home today regarding our third grade field trip on Thursday, February 15. $1.00 will need to be sent in to school before Thursday, February 8.
- This Friday, February 2 is an EARLY RELEASE. Dismissal is at 12:15 pm.
- WINTER BREAK is Monday and Tuesday, February 5 and 6. School resumes on Wednesday, February 7.
On May 23, we visited DeGraaf Nature Center. Take a look at some highlights from our trip. We had a great time learning more about Pioneer Life.
I want to make sure you are aware of some important dates coming up:
May 12: Early Release 12:15 dismissal
May 23: Field trip to DeGraaf Nature Center
**A note was sent home about this a few weeks ago. Be sure to send in $1 by May 19.
May 26: Biography Presentations
**Students will be presenting their biography research in the form of a museum.
As it nears the end of the year, we want to make sure the daily routines of reading and practicing multiplication facts continues. Keeping that routine through the school year will help continue practice through the summer months too.
Ms Van Arkel 🙂
We had a great time on our field trip yesterday! It was so much fun! Check out our pictures!
Math: We have been studying measurement and telling time. We have also practiced elapsed time and now we are working on reading and creating graphs. Please practice using elapsed time at home as this can be tricky.
Example: Sam started his homework at 2:00. He did math for 25 minutes and then did reading for 30 minutes. Then he walked his dog for 15 minutes. What time did he finish walking the dog?
Writing: We have been reviewing personal narrative writing and have started working on realistic fiction writing. We have learned character traits and are working on creating a story plan.
Science: There will be a test Wednesday. See previous post from Ms VanderStel.
Reading: We have been reading in book clubs and have been discussing the text together as we read. We have been making predictions and asking questions together as a group.
**Our field trip is next Tuesday, January 19. Please be sure to send in $1.50. Be sure your child is dressed warm and they have a sack lunch. Thanks!
Our class will be traveling to the Outdoor Discovery Center on Tuesday, January 19 to study winter ecology by snowshoe! We are very excited to go on this field trip. Our classes will be able to explore a natural area in winter on snowshoes with a naturalist. We will be able to experience habitats, adaptations, and predator and prey relationships.
Your child will need all of their warmest clothing (mittens, hats, snow pants, and snow boots along with a lunch from home. We will be outside for the entire morning, so PLEASE DRESS WARM!!
If you are interested in chaperoning, we can take five chaperones per class for free, but unfortunately you will need to drive. We will randomly choose five parents for each class to attend for free. If you are not chosen, you are welcome to join us, but will need to pay the $4.50 admission. We will leave the school at 9:00 and will depart about 1:00. Please email me if you would like to come.
Please send $1.50 to school with your child by Thursday, January 13th.
Thank you PTC for covering the rest of the cost for us!
Book orders are due today so if you are planning on ordering, please do that online tonight. Let me know if you are planning on ordering, but are not able to place your order tonight.
Our field trip is Wednesday, Feb. 4. Please remember to send in the $2.50 for the trip. Thanks!
We are on the final countdown to the last days of third grade 🙁
We are enjoying some treats and activities to go along with that. I had sent out an email asking for a donation of $1 to help cover our treats and also for materials for our field trip. Please send $1 in when you can.
We have several things happening during the next week:
Our field trip is on Thursday. I have emailed all parents that will be attending. We will leave promptly at 9 am and be back around 2:00. Please send a sack lunch with your child and be sure they are dressed to be in a wooded area and sand. Closed -toe shoes are a must!
My math group will have the Unit test tomorrow (Wed.) This unit covers fractions. A review will come home today.
We will have our Government test on Friday. A review will come home tomorrow.