I want to let you know of a few important things coming up:
1. We will have library tomorrow (Thursday). This is a change due to no school Friday. Please help your child remember to bring books to return and to get new ‘good-fit’ books.
2. No school for students on Friday. Have a nice weekend!
3. New spelling words were introduced this week. We will have our sentence dictation test next week. They are: slip, fish, pick, rocks, lunch, gift, thing, inch, truck, pond, jump, socks, dish, thump, from
We are focusing on short o and short u.
4.On Thursday, a Math Fact Practice Log will be coming home. This is for at-home practice, but will be returned each Monday. It is very important that your third grader practice facts at home and build fluency. I will have a note attached with this, but please let me know if you have any questions.
5. We have begun learning multiplication. We have started learning the 5s facts. Please practice with your third grader. Over the next few weeks, we will begin to build our multiplication sundaes. As your child passes a practice page for each count-by, they will receive a piece of the sundae. For example, when they pass the 1s practice page, they receive the bowl. When they pass the 2s, they receive the banana, etc. We will talk about how each student will be working at their own pace and may not pass on the first try. This tells us we will need to keep practicing our facts. Our multiplication sundaes will all look different as we pass our facts at different times. Our goal is to practice, practice, practice and to keep improving.
6. I look forward to meeting with you at conferences next week and sharing the wonderful things happening in third grade. You should have received a reminder slip about your conference day and time (blue paper). Please let me know if you have not. Thanks!
Miss Van Arkel 🙂