Here is a peek at our Polar Express party! We had a great time. THANK YOU to all who volunteered and donated items.
With two weeks off from school, I have reminded the third graders to continue their reading and math fact practice. Please help your child to remember to log on to MobyMax or use their flashcards for practice. They will know what math facts they need to practice. Thanks!
I wish you all a happy Holiday break!
Here are a few things to know for this week:
- A new homework packet will be coming home today. It is due next Monday, November 20. A spelling pre-test with a new spelling word list should come home as well. These words should be practiced for the spelling test on Friday.
- We have library on Wednesday. Please help your third grader to remember to return their books so they can check out new books.
- Multiplication Fluency Practice: You will see a practice page come home today. This was completed on Friday. Attached to this practice page will be a note saying NOT YET or GOT IT! This let’s you and your third grader know what facts will need to be practiced for this Friday. Your third grader keeps track of their own progress on a graph here at school so they will know exactly what facts they should be working on.
- PE CARES: Thursday is the last day to bring in canned goods! Thanks for all the donations so far. Keep them coming!
- We will have our Unit 2 Math Test tomorrow (Tuesday). A review page is coming home tonight. This unit covered multiplication with 6s, 7s, and 8s as well as word problems.
- As a reminder: We do not have school November 22-26. Enjoy your Thanksgiving Break!
- Looking Ahead: Early Release on December 1.
Here’s what’s happening in 3rd Grade:
Writing: We are finishing up our realistic fiction writing. We have learned to think of an experience in our own life and add new, realistic parts to make the story interesting. We have made up characters and learned to use character traits. We continue working on Show not Tell. We used a story mountain to plan for our writing.
Social Studies: We are finishing up our unit on Michigan History. We will be learning about how Michigan became a state. Our unit test will be next week.
Math: We have been working on addition and subtraction. Much of this lesson has been review, but we have also learned about rounding to the nearest 10 and 100. Our unit test will be next week.
Reading: We have started our Series Book Clubs. Each student is in a group and they have a daily reading assignment that must be completed for them to meet and discuss with their group. The groups discuss the questions and predictions they have as well as what the character is doing and how they change in the story.
Please continue a consistent routine of reading 20 minutes (5 days a week) and math fact practice (at least 5 minutes/5 days a week).
A homework packet will be coming home tonight. Homework packets are sent home on Mondays and should be returned the following Monday. Most every packet will consist of: math pages, reading/math fact log, spelling practice.
Reading/Math Fact Log:
This is used to keep track of at-home reading and fact practice. Help your third grader make this a routine for continued progress in math and reading this year. This pink page will be returned each Monday. Flashcards or MobyMax can be used to practice math facts or any other kind of tool that works for your third grader.
Practice Spelling Words:
A spelling word list comes home on Mondays for the test on Fridays. At-home practice will be important in helping your child learn spelling patterns. Spelling City is a great resource and is linked to the blog. Another great way to practice is to use the words in writing sentences. Help your third grader to notice beginning/ending sounds or patterns as well as the vowel sounds a word is making.
A homework packet went home today. It is due next Monday. Please remind your third grader to complete their daily reading and math fact practice too!
We are finishing up our biography writing and will be getting ready for our presentations. We would love for you to see our presentations on April 29. More information to come!
Ms Van Arkel 🙂
The biography research homework is due tomorrow. Please help your third grader to remember to bring it to school. This information will be needed in class. Thanks!
There will not be a homework packet this week. However, there may be a few pages coming home during the week.
Please continue practice on math facts (5 minutes a night) and reading (20 minutes a night). Math fact practice and daily reading is crucial for your child’s continued progress and success.
Spelling words came home today and should be practiced for the test on Friday.