Here’s what we’ve been working hard on in 3rd grade:
Writing: We have finished our unit on persuasive writing and we begin working on informational writing. Students will need to think of a topic they know a lot about and can teach to others.
Social Studies: We are nearing the end of our Michigan Economics unit. We have learned about natural, human, and capital resources as well as scarcity, opportunity cost, specialization, and interdependence!
Math: We have started unit 3 where we are working on measurement.
See the family letter that was posted. Multiplication facts should still be practiced daily!
Reading: We begin our study of informational text. We will be reading informational texts and observing their features. We will be working on using different strategies to read informational texts.
A FEW MORE THINGS TO KNOW:
- A new homework packet will be coming home today. It is due next Monday, December 4. A spelling pre-test with a new spelling word list should come home as well. These words should be practiced for the spelling test on Friday.
- We have library on Friday this week. Please help your third grader to remember to return their books so they can check out new books.
- Multiplication Fluency Practice: We did not do a practice page last week due to our two day week. Your child should know what multiplication facts they should be practicing for the practice page this Friday.
- Early Release this Friday, December 1. Dismissal is at 12:15pm.
- Holiday Shop: Our class will go to the Holiday Shop on Tuesday, December 5.
- LOOKING AHEAD: Holiday Program is on Thursday, December 14.Kindergarten – 2nd grade will start at 6:30pm
3rd – 5th grade will start at 7:30pm
We will not have a new homework packet or spelling words due to our two day week. Please remind your third grader to continue with daily reading and math fact practice over Thanksgiving Break.
You will see a practice page come home. Please check in with your third grader as they are keeping track of their progress. Ask them what multiplication facts they should be practicing for next Friday’s practice page.
Thanksgiving Break is November 22- 26.
Our next early release day is Friday, December 1.
Here are a few things to know for this week:
- A new homework packet will be coming home today. It is due next Monday, Oct. 30. A spelling pre-test with a new spelling word list should come home as well. These words should be practiced for the spelling test on Friday.
- We will have our Geography test on Wednesday. We have been reviewing in class and a review page will come home on Tuesday.
- We have library on Wednesday. Please remind your third grader to return their books so they will be able to check out new ones.
- We have PE on Wednesday this week. Please check with your child to make sure they have gym shoes at school. Changing into clean shoes helps keep our gym floor clean and safe. Thank you!
- Picture Retakes are this Thursday, October 26.
- Multiplication Fluency Practice: You will see a practice page come home today. This was completed on Friday. Attached to this practice page will be a note saying NOT YET or GOT IT! This let’s you and your third grader know what facts will need to be practiced for this Friday. Your third grader keeps track of their own progress on a graph here at school so they will know exactly what facts they should be working on.
- Parent/Teacher Conferences: Conference appointment slips (bright orange paper) should be coming home today. Please look for that in your child’s folder! I look forward to sharing all of your child’s hard work with you!
We will be having our Unit 1 Math Test next Tuesday or Wednesday. It will be depending on how we do with our review on Monday. I will be letting you know!
This unit has covered multiplication and division and understanding how they relate. Please refer to my previous post HERE.
In preparation for the test, it will be so important to practice multiplication facts with your child. They should be able to show multiplication in a few different ways by using repeated addition, arrays, and area model. We have been working on these concepts in class and as part of weekly homework packets.
We have also learned the distributive property of multiplication. For example, we can find the area of the whole rectangle below by using 7 x 3 = 21.
We can also break the large rectangle into two smaller rectangles (red and white).
Then we find the area of each smaller rectangle and add.
example: (5 x 3) + (2 x 3) =
15 + 6 = 21
Thank you for your support!
Ms Van Arkel 🙂
It was such a nice day yesterday so we decided to do some math practice outside!
We have been learning the 3s multiplication facts so the students were to choose a 3s multiplication equation and then show it as repeated addition and make a drawing.
This was a fun way to do math!
Please take a look at this parent letter. As we learn strategies for multiplication, this may be helpful especially for practicing with your child at home. Thank You!
Our unit 2 math test will be on Friday! We will review in class today and the review page will come home. We will do more practice work on Thursday as well. Please help your third grader go over multiplication and division facts and word problems.
We will have our Unit 1 Math Test on Wednesday. We reviewed during math stations today and will review tomorrow too. A review page will come home.
The test will cover strategies we have learned for multiplication and division equations and word problems.
We have been working on learning strategies for multiplication and division facts. Today we used counters to help us solve word problems.
Example: I have 12 books that I will place on 2 bookshelves. How many books will be on each shelf?
Joe has 27 baseball cards. He arranges them in 3 rows. How many baseball cards will be in each row?
***Please help your child practice their math flashcards for at least 5 minutes each night. Building fluency with multiplication facts will be crucial to learning division and future math concepts.