Here is some information for the week:
Social Studies quiz: We have been learning about how we modify and adapt to our environment. We will have a short quiz tomorrow. You will see a review page coming home today.
Multiplication Practice Page: We will have our next practice page on Wednesday. Pages were sent home on Friday. Your child has been keeping track of their progress and should know what facts to practice for Wednesday.
MobyMax Fact Fluency practice: At conferences, I gave you an update of your child’s fact fluency scores for addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. We spent the first part of the year reviewing addition and subtraction fluency. Since it is a second grade concept, our hope is that student’s have those facts mastered and have moved on to practice multiplication and division. Starting this week, I will move all students to multiplication and division on MobyMax. If your child still needs some practice with addition and subtraction, please continue practicing at home.
PE CARES Food Drive continues through November 16.
Please consider donating non-perishable food items that will all be given to Love Inc. in Hudsonville. The class that brings in the most items will be given a thank you and traveling to Hudsonville Bowling Lanes for a bowling party!!!! Thanks for your help.
Book List: At conferences, we discussed your child’s reading progress and their good-fit level. I am sending home a list of book titles suggestions. Use this as you help your third grader choose ‘just-right’ books. Look for this green paper to come home in daily folders.
November 15: PTC meeting- 6:30 in the library
November 16: Last day for PE Cares donations.
November 19: Culver’s Night 5-8pm
December 13: Holiday Program at Fair Haven church – more details to come!
December 14: Early Release – 12:15 dismissal.
Here is an update for the week:
Reading Calendars are due Thursday. A new one for November will be sent home on Thursday. This is used to keep track of reading homework. It is recommended that third graders be reading for at least 20 minutes/at least 5 days a week.
We will complete our next practice page on Wednesday. Your child is keeping track of their progress at school and should know what multiplication facts they are working on. You should have seen the practice page come home last week with a “Got It” or a “Not Yet” note attached to it.
We have an early release day on Friday. Dismissal is at 12:15.
I look forward to meeting you next week at conferences! Conference appointment times were sent home on Friday.
Our class will visit the Book Fair next week. We will look on Tuesday and purchase on Thursday. If you plan to have your child make a purchase, please send money in an envelope with your child’s name by Thursday. Thanks!
Here are a few things you will need to know:
- Our Growth Mindset mantra this month is: MY BRAIN IS LIKE A MUSCLE THAT GROWS. Today, we made a new goal for ourselves. We put it right on our name tag as a daily reminder. The goal is: I will work hard to help my brain grow strong!
- Jet’s Pizza night: October 11
- Early Release this Friday, Oct. 12
- Snack: Please help your child remember to pack one healthy snack each day. I usually have a snack available for forgetful situations. If you are able to donate a box of graham crackers, our class would appreciate it!
- Multiplication Fluency Practice Page: On Wednesdays (and sometimes more often) we assess multiplication fact fluency. This helps the students take responsibility in their learning. Students will be given a multiplication fact page one fact group at a time. This Wednesday we will start with the 5s. When the 5s page is passed, your child will move on to the 2s. The order we will follow is: 5s, 2s, 10s, 9s, 3s, 4s, 6s, 7s, 8s. Your child has a graph where they will keep track of their progress so they know what facts to work on. You will see the practice page come home with a note attached that says: “GOT IT!” or “NOT YET”. This will let you know what facts to work on for the next practice page.
- We made our GOAL!!!!
Each day we use a scoreboard. If our scoreboard has more smile tallies than sad face tallies, we earn a smile magnet. So our class set a goal of earning 10 smile faces. When the class met the goal they would receive a treat from me. So today was the day! We enjoyed cookies and apple cider. Way to go, class!!
It continues to be very important that students be practicing their multiplication facts at home. We work on multiplication at school, but students need continuous practice with the basic facts so they can complete the math work at school. There are a few ways students should be practicing at home:
FLASHCARDS: these should be coming home each night. It is not so helpful to try and practice the whole pile of flashcards in one sitting. Instead, choose one color count-bys that your child is struggling with and just practice those for that night. Then choose a different color on a different night. This will help mastery. A recommended order of practice is: 5s, 2s, 10s, 9s, 3s,.
As the flashcard folder gets full, we will start to take some out and keep them at school.
MOBYMAX: students have been working on MobyMax math fact practice at school. They are reviewing addition and subtraction facts and when they have mastered those, they will move on to multiplication and then division. Students can access Mobymax at home for practice.
Coming up this week: WALK–A–THON
Friday, October 5 is our school WALKATHON. This is sponsored by the PTC (Parents, Teachers and Children)…and it is our ONLY fundraiser for our school. The money raised funds learning incentives, online learning programs and parent/child events throughout the year. Our goal is to raise $30.00 per child to support our extra programs at school. PLEASE donate and join us for our Lovin’ the 80’s Walkathon!
Look for information about our READING CALENDAR later in the week.
Here is our weekly update for the week:
Your third grader should continue with daily reading and math fact practice. Your child should have the 5s, 2s, and 10s multiplication facts in their folder. Please make sure the yellow multiplication folder stays in the blue Homework folder so it can go back and forth to school and home. Consistent practice is crucial as we move on in our math lessons. Look for the 9s facts to come home this week.
SCHOLASTIC BOOK ORDER:
If you are still planning to order, you may still do that tonight. I will submit the order this week so let me know if you are planning to order, but are unable to do that tonight. Thanks!
School Picture Day is on Thursday.
Please look for information to come home today regarding the Walk-a-thon. Support from you, your friends and family, is greatly appreciated. This is our main fundraiser for our school! More information can be found on our SCHOOL BLOG.
PLEASE NOTE: 3rd grade walks 9:45-10:30am. I believe the page that was sent home listed a different time.
Popcorn Day is on the final Friday of the month. This is made possible by YOU – your donations at Open House funded the purchase of the popcorn/oil. Parent volunteers come in each Friday to pop the popcorn and deliver it to classrooms.
EAGLE’S Spirit Day:
Friday is Eagle’s Spirit day in celebration of the homecoming football game. Everyone is encouraged to wear blue and gold to support the team on game day.
FOR YOUR INFORMATION:
As you see school work coming home there may be a number grade (3,2,1) on some of them. See below to find out what this means.
Use this as a guide:
Thank you!! 🙂
Here’s what we’ve been working hard on in 3rd grade:
Writing: We have finished our unit on persuasive writing and we begin working on informational writing. Students will need to think of a topic they know a lot about and can teach to others.
Social Studies: We are nearing the end of our Michigan Economics unit. We have learned about natural, human, and capital resources as well as scarcity, opportunity cost, specialization, and interdependence!
Math: We have started unit 3 where we are working on measurement.
See the family letter that was posted. Multiplication facts should still be practiced daily!
Reading: We begin our study of informational text. We will be reading informational texts and observing their features. We will be working on using different strategies to read informational texts.
A FEW MORE THINGS TO KNOW:
- A new homework packet will be coming home today. It is due next Monday, December 4. A spelling pre-test with a new spelling word list should come home as well. These words should be practiced for the spelling test on Friday.
- We have library on Friday this week. Please help your third grader to remember to return their books so they can check out new books.
- Multiplication Fluency Practice: We did not do a practice page last week due to our two day week. Your child should know what multiplication facts they should be practicing for the practice page this Friday.
- Early Release this Friday, December 1. Dismissal is at 12:15pm.
- Holiday Shop: Our class will go to the Holiday Shop on Tuesday, December 5.
- LOOKING AHEAD: Holiday Program is on Thursday, December 14.Kindergarten – 2nd grade will start at 6:30pm
3rd – 5th grade will start at 7:30pm