Here’s what we have been up to in our classroom:
Writing: We are working on revising, editing, and publishing our realistic fiction stories this week. We started thinking of small moments in our life and have used those ideas to create fiction characters and a new story line.
Social Studies: Before we begin our Government unit this week, today we reviewed what it means to be a mindful learner. We talked about making good choices even when no one is watching. We were reminded what it means to have good character. We read a book titled The Jelly Donut Difference and then we wrote about a way we could spread kindness to others just like the characters in the story did.
Math: We are working on word problems and have started practicing comparison problems.
Reading: Our Series Book Clubs are finishing up. Students are working on their second book in the series. Book clubs will meet to discuss the similarities and differences they noticed in their books of the same series.
- Homework this week is Remembering 4-5/Homework 4-6. It should be coming home today and is due next Monday Feb. 26.
- Multiplication Fluency Practice: A practice page will come home today. This was completed on Friday. Attached to this practice page will be a note saying NOT YET or GOT IT! This lets you and your third grader know what facts should be practiced for this Friday. Your third grader keeps track of their progress here at school so they know exactly what facts to practice. Please help your third grader practice their facts this week.
- MobyMax should be practiced regularly at home. You will need to log onto Clever to access MobyMax. Let me know if you have forgotten how to do this. There is a link on the right side of the blog under AT HOME links. I will also continue to have all kids practice fluency here at school
- We have library on Friday. Help your child remember to bring their books back before Friday. Thanks!
We had a great time on our field trip to DeGraaf Nature Center last Thursday! Take a look!
Here’s what we’ve been working hard on in 3rd grade:
Writing: We have finished our unit on persuasive writing and we begin working on informational writing. Students will need to think of a topic they know a lot about and can teach to others.
Social Studies: We are nearing the end of our Michigan Economics unit. We have learned about natural, human, and capital resources as well as scarcity, opportunity cost, specialization, and interdependence!
Math: We have started unit 3 where we are working on measurement.
See the family letter that was posted. Multiplication facts should still be practiced daily!
Reading: We begin our study of informational text. We will be reading informational texts and observing their features. We will be working on using different strategies to read informational texts.
A FEW MORE THINGS TO KNOW:
- A new homework packet will be coming home today. It is due next Monday, December 4. A spelling pre-test with a new spelling word list should come home as well. These words should be practiced for the spelling test on Friday.
- We have library on Friday this week. Please help your third grader to remember to return their books so they can check out new books.
- Multiplication Fluency Practice: We did not do a practice page last week due to our two day week. Your child should know what multiplication facts they should be practicing for the practice page this Friday.
- Early Release this Friday, December 1. Dismissal is at 12:15pm.
- Holiday Shop: Our class will go to the Holiday Shop on Tuesday, December 5.
- LOOKING AHEAD: Holiday Program is on Thursday, December 14.Kindergarten – 2nd grade will start at 6:30pm
3rd – 5th grade will start at 7:30pm
We will not have a new homework packet or spelling words due to our two day week. Please remind your third grader to continue with daily reading and math fact practice over Thanksgiving Break.
You will see a practice page come home. Please check in with your third grader as they are keeping track of their progress. Ask them what multiplication facts they should be practicing for next Friday’s practice page.
Thanksgiving Break is November 22- 26.
Our next early release day is Friday, December 1.
A few things to know this week:
- A homework packet is coming home today. It is due next Monday.
- You will see a spelling list coming home. We are reviewing short vowels. These should be practiced throughout the week in preparation for the spelling test on Friday.
- We have been learning about the landforms and bodies of water in Michigan. We reviewed today and will have a quiz on Wednesday. Students should be able to name a few landforms and give examples and name a few bodies of water and give examples.
- Picture Day is on Thursday. A packet went home today.
- Our Super Hero themed WALK-A-THON is this Friday, September 22. This is our one and only fundraiser for our school. Read our school blog to find out more information. Thank you for your donation toward our school! Donations are due on Monday, September 25.
A few things to know about this coming week:
- Multiplication Flashcards: We have started learning multiplication and have begun with the 5s facts. We have been learning different ways to understand multiplication- drawings, repeated addition, and arrays. Your child has a flashcard folder. This will come home each night for practice and should be sent back each day to school so they can be used in class.
- Library: We have library on Wednesday. You may have seen books come home last week. Your child’s goal is to make sure they choose at least 2 good-fit books and they may choose 1 for fun. Please help your child remember to return books to school when they are done.
- Homework Packet: A homework packet is coming home today (Monday). It will be due next Monday. The packet consists of 2 math pages and a reading and math fact log.
- Social Studies: Our first unit is Michigan Geography. We have been studying relative and absolute location. A study guide will come home today. We will have a quiz on Wednesday.
- Spelling: Spelling and Word Study will start next week.
Let me know if you have questions.
Ms Van Arkel 🙂
We are working hard in 3rd grade:
Writing: We are working on biography research and will be writing about the people we have studied. We are working on gathering information, organizing details, and drafting our work.
Science: Students are finishing up the Light unit with Ms VanderStel. Test on Friday!
Math: This week we started the Fraction unit. We have learned about unit fractions and will be working on equivalent fractions too. We are using lots of number lines and other visuals to show fractions. Please click on the letter below to read more information about the concepts we will be learning with fractions.
Reading: We are ending our biography reading unit. Our class has enjoyed reading about people in history and we have learned about the challenges they faced in life. We have learned about all the hard work they put in to fulfilling their dreams. We have enjoyed reading about how so many people have made a difference in our lives even today.