WRITING: We have been learning how to generate ideas for personal narrative writing. We chose a small moment idea today and will learn how to plan for our story writing. We will learn writing strategies to make our writing powerful.
GROWTH MINDSET: We continue learning about Growth Mindset. We have been making goals as a class and then each student made a goal for themselves as a reader.
MATH: We continue learning our 5s and 2s multiplication. We have started to learn how multiplication and division are related. We have learned to make drawings that go with multiplication equations and have practiced solving word problems.
READING: We have been working on choosing good-fit books. We talked about forming strong reading habits that help us grow as readers. We will be starting a new read aloud mentor text (The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane) that will help us practice reading strategies.
OTHER INFORMATION TO KNOW:
Please continue with daily reading (20 minutes) and math fact practice. We will be adding the 2s multiplication facts this week.
I sent home 2 MATH HOMEWORK PAGES (1-3/1-5) today. These are due on Friday 9/21. These pages are helpful for practicing facts and strategies so please support your child as necessary.
SCHOLASTIC BOOK ORDER: You will see information coming home about the Scholastic Book Order. Take a look at these with your third grader. If you choose to order, please follow the instructions on the letter that is attached to the packet. Your order helps our class earn free books! Thank you!
PICTURE DAY: school picture day is on September 27.
9/20: PTC Meeting in the library at 6:30pm
9/28: Popcorn Friday
10/12: Early Release dismissal at 12:15pm.
10/23: Turkey Trot
Here’s what we have been learning about in third grade:
Writing: We have finished our Literary Essay unit and then completed our Post Assessment of opinion writing before Spring Break. We will now begin to practice constructed response writing as well as begin our Core Democratic Values writing work that goes along with our Social Studies Unit.
Science: We will begin studying animals and adaptations!
Math: We will spend a few days doing some review and activities with area and perimeter and then we begin our fraction unit this week.
Reading: We have been reading biography books and with each book the students read, they complete a comprehension card to summarize the important facts they have learned about a person in history. We will be working on choosing a person to study and write about.
Here’s what we have been up to in our classroom:
Writing: We are working on revising, editing, and publishing our realistic fiction stories this week. We started thinking of small moments in our life and have used those ideas to create fiction characters and a new story line.
Social Studies: Before we begin our Government unit this week, today we reviewed what it means to be a mindful learner. We talked about making good choices even when no one is watching. We were reminded what it means to have good character. We read a book titled The Jelly Donut Difference and then we wrote about a way we could spread kindness to others just like the characters in the story did.
Math: We are working on word problems and have started practicing comparison problems.
Reading: Our Series Book Clubs are finishing up. Students are working on their second book in the series. Book clubs will meet to discuss the similarities and differences they noticed in their books of the same series.
- Homework this week is Remembering 4-5/Homework 4-6. It should be coming home today and is due next Monday Feb. 26.
- Multiplication Fluency Practice: A practice page will come home today. This was completed on Friday. Attached to this practice page will be a note saying NOT YET or GOT IT! This lets you and your third grader know what facts should be practiced for this Friday. Your third grader keeps track of their progress here at school so they know exactly what facts to practice. Please help your third grader practice their facts this week.
- MobyMax should be practiced regularly at home. You will need to log onto Clever to access MobyMax. Let me know if you have forgotten how to do this. There is a link on the right side of the blog under AT HOME links. I will also continue to have all kids practice fluency here at school
- We have library on Friday. Help your child remember to bring their books back before Friday. Thanks!
We had a great time on our field trip to DeGraaf Nature Center last Thursday! Take a look!
Here’s what we’ve been working hard on in 3rd grade:
Writing: We have finished our unit on persuasive writing and we begin working on informational writing. Students will need to think of a topic they know a lot about and can teach to others.
Social Studies: We are nearing the end of our Michigan Economics unit. We have learned about natural, human, and capital resources as well as scarcity, opportunity cost, specialization, and interdependence!
Math: We have started unit 3 where we are working on measurement.
See the family letter that was posted. Multiplication facts should still be practiced daily!
Reading: We begin our study of informational text. We will be reading informational texts and observing their features. We will be working on using different strategies to read informational texts.
A FEW MORE THINGS TO KNOW:
- A new homework packet will be coming home today. It is due next Monday, December 4. A spelling pre-test with a new spelling word list should come home as well. These words should be practiced for the spelling test on Friday.
- We have library on Friday this week. Please help your third grader to remember to return their books so they can check out new books.
- Multiplication Fluency Practice: We did not do a practice page last week due to our two day week. Your child should know what multiplication facts they should be practicing for the practice page this Friday.
- Early Release this Friday, December 1. Dismissal is at 12:15pm.
- Holiday Shop: Our class will go to the Holiday Shop on Tuesday, December 5.
- LOOKING AHEAD: Holiday Program is on Thursday, December 14.Kindergarten – 2nd grade will start at 6:30pm
3rd – 5th grade will start at 7:30pm
We will not have a new homework packet or spelling words due to our two day week. Please remind your third grader to continue with daily reading and math fact practice over Thanksgiving Break.
You will see a practice page come home. Please check in with your third grader as they are keeping track of their progress. Ask them what multiplication facts they should be practicing for next Friday’s practice page.
Thanksgiving Break is November 22- 26.
Our next early release day is Friday, December 1.