Something new is coming home…

Hi Parents,

I am trying something new that should be helpful in building responsibility and organization for our third graders. In your child’s backpack you will find a large ziploc bag. There is a note in there for you to read that explains everything in there. This ziploc bag is very important as it will travel back and forth from home and school and it includes the essential supplies for your child’s learning. Please help your child be responsible with the bag and all the items in it.

In the bag you will find:

Daily Folder

A book (from home or school) that your child should be working on.

Multiplication flashcards: we have started with the 5s facts and will be adding more.

Reading and fact fluency log:  This will come home weekly and will be returned on Mondays. Please help your child to read for at least 20 minutes 5 times a week and practice math facts for at least 5 minutes 5 times a week.

Reading at home:  I have talked with the students about the importance of practicing reading and doing it regularly. I have encouraged them to read right when they get home or before bed. Please help your third grader set aside 20 minutes to do their reading. This can be a time when you read with them if you wish. Take turns reading pages, but please have your third grader do much of the reading as they will benefit greatly from the practice. I also have a few reading activities on the blog. Check on the right side under Reading.

Math Fact Practice at Home:  The multiplication flashcards are a great way to practice fact fluency. There are  many ways to practice math facts. Continue practicing addition and subtraction facts with your child too.  Feel free to use any way that is helpful for your child to practice. Maybe you have a few math games at home that you use to practice and you can also check out a few of the math games on the blog. They are on the right side under Math. I will also be sending home some information about Xtra Math. This is an online site for math practice. I have it linked on our blog under Math.

Please help your child be responsible with their bag of supplies as they may need a few reminders about bringing it back and forth to school. Thank you for your support!

Ms Van Arkel