We had a great last day of third grade!! This was a special group of kids this year and I will miss them!
I feel very blessed to teach your children this year. Thank you all for your support, too! I sent home a packet of Summer Learning ideas to help keep your third grader engaged and learning this summer. Please look for this in your child’s folder.
I hope you have a wonderful summer!
~Ms Van Arkel 🙂
Studies have shown that students can lose up to 50% of learning during the summer vacation. Georgetown is challenging you and your child to “KEEP ON LEARNING” this summer to prevent summer slide. There are a few ways your child can continue learning throughout the summer.
- MATH PRACTICE:
• MOBYMAX via CLEVER: https://clever.com/in/hpseagles
This is a great way to practice multiplication and division facts, but it would be great for your child to practice the other subjects on there as well.
Login will be firstname.lastname@example.org
• Flashcards are always a great way to practice math facts, too.
• Chapter book reading for 20 minutes (or more!). Help your child maintain their reading progress by keeping a reading routine. With the unusual way our school year ended, maintaining reading skills will be very crucial through the summer and into 4th grade in the fall.
• EPIC : If your child enjoys using this site for reading and they’d like to use this throughout the Summer months, please let me know as I will need to send you a link for access.
• Challenge your child to read fiction and nonfiction texts.
• Have your child keep a journal and write abut their summer adventures and activities. Remind them to think of a small moment and include details, thoughts, and feelings as they write.
• Write about reading: As your child reads, have them write about the text.
– Describe the main character.
– Describe the setting of the story
– Make a prediction
– How would you feel if you were the main character? Would you do anything differently?
– Why do you think the author wrote this story?
– What is the lesson of this story?
• You may find 3rd/4th grade workbooks at bookstores that would have some great skill practice.
The school year has flown by and now here we are at summer vacation. I want to thank each of you for sharing your children with me this school year. I feel so blessed to have been a part of your children’s lives as their third grade teacher!
Thank you so much for the ways you have volunteered your time and donated items for our class this year. I appreciate all your support!
Have a safe, healthy, and happy summer! I will miss this wonderful group!
Ashley Van Arkel
3rd Graders and Families,
I am in the classroom getting things all set up and ready for you!! I hope you are enjoying the last few weeks of summer. As you do your school shopping, don’t forget to look at the supply list that was posted.
I’ve had a great summer!
Here is a peek at one of my adventures this summer. I wonder if you know where I went?? It’s one of my favorites! I can’t wait to teach you all about this special place!
I look forward to hearing all about your Summer adventures, too!
Hello 3rd Grade Families!
We are dreaming about summer days so we decided to do some writing about it!!
Studies have shown that learners can lose up to 50% of learning during the summer vacation. Georgetown is challenging you and your child to “Keep On Learning With Mobymax” this summer as a way to prevent summer slide. Georgetown teachers selected MobyMax as the online curriculum for summer vacation and extra curricular in school learning.
To learn more, visit our school blog. Also…all those who earn their MOBYMAX points will be entered into a drawing for an ipad mini!
Dear Third Grade Families,
I have truly enjoyed having your third grader in class this year! Thank you so much for sharing your child with me. It has been so fun to grow together as learners and we have made great memories. I am so proud of each and every child! I’m so thankful for each of their talents and abilities and am glad they have been a part of our class this year.
Thank you for your wonderful support this year and helping your third grader do their best. I appreciate you!
Enjoy the summer!
~ Miss Van Arkel 🙂
Wow! I can’t believe it is our last week of third grade. Wasn’t it just September?!
We’ve really had a great year and have enjoyed learning together.
Here are a few things to remember this week:
Tuesday: Fraction test
Thursday: Last Day! (full day) 3:40 dismissal
2nd and 3rd grade field day in the morning. Please help your child
remember to wear tennis shoes and to bring a water bottle.
We will also have our end of the year school store. Each student will have a chance to spend some of their tickets they have earned in class this year.
Please look for papers and writing folders to come home this week. It’s fun to look back at how much progress has been made since the beginning of the year! Thanks so much for all your support this year. I have truly enjoyed having your third grader in class. Have a great summer!
Miss Van Arkel 🙂
The Scholastic Summer Challenge is a free online reading program dedicated to stopping the “Summer Slide” and encouraging kids to read more books this summer. The Summer Challenge invites kids to log the minutes they spend reading as they Read for the World Record. This is a fun and easy way to have your child read this summer, earning digital rewards and participating in weekly challenges.
Also available for download are age appropriate booklists and a Reading Timer mobile app for timing and tracking reading minutes.
I have registered our class in the Summer Reading Challenge. Your child will come home with their username and password to help get them started. I encourage you to use this as a great tool to keep track of reading this summer!
Please visit the Summer Reading Challenge to log in and get started!
Miss Van Arkel 🙂